Leak Detector Information
Hydrogen leak detectors for production and service leak detection sniffer trace gas applications. Sniffer leak detectors utilize the inside/out method of tracer gas leak detection. Trace gas is used to pressurize the test part. The sniffer probe of the leak detector is then moved around suspected leak areas until the leak detector indicates that the tracer gas is detected indicating the leak location. Since hydrogen is a flammable gas the concentration of the hydrogen gas is 5% Hydrogen mixed with 95% Nitrogen. This 5/95 blend is below the 5.7% flammability concentration in nitrogen and thus the tracer gas is green label non-combustible and non-flammable.
Other methods of fine tracer gas leak detection have used helium as the tracer gas in the past. Benefits of 5/95 H2/N2 over helium:
- 5/95 is one quarter the cost or less
- Both nitrogen and hydrogen are plentiful with no shortages
- Hydrogen is high energy gas that dissipates once escaping the leak with no background build-up in the area
- Hydrogen sensors are more durable and less expensive than Helium leak detector sniffers
- Hydrogen has low concentrations in air at 0.5 ppm
The 5/95 is an ideal tracer gas for determining leak locations in the field. The most common application is in refrigeration systems. Any refrigeration system in a store location such as big box store or grocery stores can be pressurized with the 5/96 before being filled with refrigerant gas and leak detected. This saves money in reduction of refrigerant loss and helps the environment with reduction of greenhouse gases.
Other service applications include automotive refrigeration systems repair, power plant leak detection, sealed product integrity, re-work leak detection in appliance manufacturing and many more.
The best leak detector for production applications can depend on several factors such as cost, production rate and leak rate.
- VL30 Hydrogen Leak Detector is designed for high production applications for the smallest leak rates.
- VL20 Hydrogen Leak Detector is for high production applications with leak rates > than 0.5 g/yr
- TLD.1000 provides high sensitivity for applications that need a low cost alternative
- TLD.500 is our lowest cost leak detector and good for replacing bubble test type applications
Underground Water Pipe, Gas Lines, Steam Pipes & Swimming Pools
The Hydro-Lok Underground Leak Detector is the choice for underground pipe and swimming pool applications. The 5/95 Hydrogen mixture is pressurized into the leaking pipe and then can be detected at ground level.